How Do You like To Write?

Image ©peterwynmosey.com

Here is the notebook I am currently using for my work in progress. As you can see, it gets quite jumbled up. I tend to write as quickly as possible, because thoughts literally escape my mind as fast as they enter. Sometimes this means that what I have written becomes illegible. I’ll type up the notes at a later date, usually using Google docs (or Celtx for scripts). I very often can’t decipher my own handwriting, however it can lead to some interesting modifications during the translation process.

I earn the majority of my income as a copywriter, for that job I am joined to laptop keyboard, often writing several thousand words each day. As such, I find that the freedom of writing by hand can give a renewed sense of creativity.

I tend to start a new notebook for each project. This one is a Peter Pan Moleskin

I’d love to hear about what you all write on. Are you purely digital, or do you have a favourite notebook?

Disclosure

17 Comments Add yours

1. I type more often these days, but still keep a nice journal for writing in at times. And a notebook for dragging with me places laptop cannot go. Your Peter Pan book makes me a smidgen envious. I love to fill beautiful books with worthy stories. 🙂

2. Prior... says:

Yeah – using the same kind of notebook makes them easy to store – I learned that a while back – and sometimes use 70 page spiral ones.
    Happy writing and hope
    You have a good weekend

Liked by 1 person

3. thanks 🙂 get it does look enegetic. I have always thought my writing is lazy, but I do write fast and try and get things out of my head before the thoughts pass and I’m left with a void in my braid again!

a notepad a month is good going. And I like the idea of using the same type of note pad each time.

4. Prior... says:

I have a classic “marble-cover” paper journal – cheap – 100 pages – and sometimes I fill one per month. Other times I fill one over three months – depends.
    I love your Peter Pan one – and like seeing your writing – can feel the energy

5. Max Easter says:

Great post. I’ve been a discovery writer for the most part, but I’ve tried doing more planning so I don’t struggle so much in process. I scribble names, plot points and various ideas in a composition notebook and refer to it as writing. I think I enjoy the discovery writing aspect too much to do a lot of outlining , but scribbling notes and such does help.

Thanks for the post.

Liked by 1 person

6. It’s the best way! See it as your superpower not your weakness.

7. Figured I’d let mental illness work FOR me instead of against me. 😅

Liked by 1 person

8. I love this answer! Keep up the writing.

Liked by 1 person

9. Constantly. Obsessively. Driven by an irrational fear that I’ll die before I say everything I want to say, and that’s a fairly recent development. I mostly write digitally, but if the power’s out or my charge is low I’ll revert back to a notebook. I feel like I’ve wasted my day if I don’t crank something out, whether it be part of a WIP or just a random short story.

Liked by 1 person

10. I’m glad to hear I am not the only one with a spiders scrawl! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

11. I do both. I have a note book that I jot down ideas, odd phrases, an almost forgotten quotation….only to look at my spider scrawl later trying to decipher what I’ve written. So if I have my laptop handy I prefer to get the ideas typed into my drafts on WordPress. At least I can easily read them later that way. Oh, and thank you for liking my latest attempt at poetry. Much appreciated.

12. Thank you!
    It’s always interesting to hear how others think and work.

13. Sand says:

I love doing both. I tend to have moods and will switch. I find that it’s easier to type because the rate of thinking/words appearing can feel seamless. But writing by hand can be quite therapeutic and sometimes it’ll lean towards stream of consciousness. Digitally I think I tend to be more structured. I love the quote on your notebook btw.

14. Violet Plum says:

That looks excellent 🙂 I like writing in notebooks, it’s good for keeping track of projects, like you say 🙂

Liked by 1 person

15. Thanks! And to you too!

16. lawrenceez says:

Purely digital, although I only read printed novels. Best of luck with your writing projects.